Paradigm Giving 2020: Ending the Year with our Favorite Tradition
2020 has been an incredibly challenging year in a multitude of ways — a global pandemic that is disproportionately impacting the most marginalized communities, an economic recession, setbacks to transgender rights, and a horrifying series of murders of Black Americans that gave rise to an international awakening to systemic racial injustice.
As the year comes to a close, I am thankful that Paradigm can do something to support our community through Paradigm Giving, our corporate philanthropy program. Every year, we set aside money to donate to nonprofits tackling some of the most pressing social justice, humanitarian, and community-specific issues. Our employees determine the organizations we donate to, and this year, they opted to support organizations with missions that are focused on addressing many of the ongoing issues this year has exacerbated: racial justice; transgender and immigrants rights; increasing the representation of women and people of color in STEM fields; and helping those experiencing homelessness.
This year, we’re giving to:
- Black Girls Code: “Increasing the number of women of color in the digital space by empowering girls of color ages 7 to 17 to become innovators in STEM fields, leaders in their communities, and builders of their own futures through exposure to computer science and technology.”
- Code 2040: “Activating, connecting, and mobilizing the largest racial equity community in tech to dismantle the structural barriers that prevent the full participation and leadership of Black and Latinx people in the innovation economy.”
- Equal Justice Initiative: “Committed to ending mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the United States, to challenging racial and economic injustice, and to protecting basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society.”
- RAICES: “Defending the rights of immigrants and refugees, empowering individuals, families and communities, and advocating for liberty and justice.”
- Planned Parenthood: “Delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people worldwide.”
- Southern Poverty Law Center: “A catalyst for racial justice in the South and beyond, working in partnership with communities to dismantle white supremacy, strengthen intersectional movements, and advance the human rights of all people.”
- Transgender Law Center: “Changing law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression.”
Paradigm is also matching our employees’ donation to Compass Family Services, which is helping homeless and at-risk families become stably housed, emotionally and physically healthy, and economically self-sufficient. We encourage those who can this year to give — as companies, families, teams, and individuals — to support communities that are hurting, as we work towards a better 2021.
December 18, 2020